A few weekends ago Sunny and I discovered Metro-North Railway adventures and we found ourselves on the gorgeous Sheffield Island in Connecticut.
I have no idea how I’ve gone 17 years of living in NYC without knowing about Metro-North’s Getaways and to be honest, I have no idea how I finally discovered them but I did and I’m addicted!
Here’s the LINK to all of the getaways that the MTA puts together. They are convenient and affordable and Sunny and I will be checking them off one by one!
Sunny had been talking about lighthouses lately so we decided to check out the Sheffield Island Lighthouse Tour. We went to Grand Central, bought the package and jumped on the train to South Norwalk which took about one hour. From there it was about a 10-15 walk to the Ferry Dock or you could take a cab which is what we did. On our particular weekend they had a pirate theme complete with a treasure hunt for the kids. We took a tour through the Sheffield Lighthouse which is set up exactly like it was in 1868.
It was a great day! We really felt like we had a mini vacation and we were back in our apartment by 4pm. We will all be going back for their annual Oyster Festival on the weekend of September 10th and 11th!
Lighthouse Tour details:
- Sheffield Island, with its historic lighthouse, beaches, and wildlife refuge, offers abundant summer fun for visitors. Board the 45-foot CJ Toth Quest ferry for a cruise to the island. Then tour the lighthouse, observe wildlife in their natural habitat, hunt for shells along the beach, dine on a picnic lunch, play on the lawns around the lighthouse, and just have a good time. The lighthouse grounds provide magnificent views of Long Island Sound and, on a clear day, of the New York City skyline.
- Dates: May 28 – September 25 (excluding September 9,10,11)
Ferries depart :Weekends: 11 a.m., 2 p.m. & 3:30 p.m. Monday, Thursday and Friday: 11 am. and 3 pm.
Tuesday & Wednesday: 11 a.m.
- Package price from GCT/Harlem-125th Street: adults, $37; seniors, persons with disabilities and individuals receiving Medicare, $33; children 12, $30; children 5-11, $13; children 4, $11; children under 4, $5.
- Customers MUST CALL 203-838-9444 to confirm reservation date and give a weekend telephone contact. Once you confirm your dates, purchase your package from any Metro-North ticket office or full-service ticket vending machine (excluding South Norwalk Station).
- The Maritime Aquarium is next door to the Ferry and a fun activity before or after the ferry ride. Probably better for old kids though. Sunny was pooped after the ferry adventure.
- Bring sunblock, snacks and good walking shoes. Part of the island is covered in shells that make the ground sharp.