Madiba Restaurant has been a popular choice for locals in Fort Greene for over 17 years. It has an eclectic menu inspired by South African street food but what we really care about is if it’s Sippy-Cup Approved! Fort Greene resident and mom Beth Miller gives us the scoop!
|Address:||195 Dekalb Avenue @ Carlton Ave|
|Area:||Fort Greene, Brooklyn|
Kids (See pic)
|Room Around Tables For Stroller:||Limited
See Notes *
|Accessible (No Stairs):||NO
See Notes *
|Double Stroller Friendly:||NO|
Crayons + Kids Menu
|Half Portions Available:||YES
Many side options
|Changing Table Men’s:||NO|
|Changing Table Women’s:||NO|
* We sat outside and were able to keep our stroller near the table. But if it were more crowded it would be difficult unless situated on the very ends of the outdoor seating area. Seating inside is a bit tight as well.
* Two small stairs once inside leading to main dining area
Appropriate for Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Best for toddlers and little kids. Do not bring a stroller if possible.
Sippy Cup Rating:(3.0 / 5)
- Great well priced kids menu. My son devoured the French Toast with fruit so that would be my recommended dish for children even though it is not on the Kids menu! Free Ice Cream for kids under 12!
- Madiba is directly across the street from a playground. If your toddler gets antsy you can take him or her there for some playtime while the rest of your party continues to dine. If you sit outside, they can literally watch you play while they eat.
- 2 blocks away from Fort Greene Park which has a nice enclosed playground as well as a Farmers Market on Saturdays.
- Right now there is scaffolding over the outside of the building. This actually works well in that it provides lots of shade (no competing for umbrellas) and defines the seating area well. Madiba outdoors is one of the best places to people watch in Fort Greene so take advantage of the extra shade while it is available.
- Go early. Madiba is a neighborhood fixture that can become a bit of a social hangout as you approach the evening. Going earlier may help to avoid the crowds, often preferable if you have an excitable toddler like I do! I should also caution you about visiting with children during big sporting events like the Olympics, World Cup Soccer etc. This is a popular place to watch any kind of international sporting event so indoors could be a bit difficult with a little one. (It is super fun though.)
Review Submitted by Beth Miller and Emory – July 8, 2016
Beth Miller is a long time Fort Greene resident where she lives with her husband Kuza and their adorable son Emory. She is the Vice President of Business and Legal Affairs at Sony Music Masterworks.